"If you hear a voice within you say, 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced." --Vincent van Gogh

Saturday, December 8, 2007

Gold and Gray

First off, thanks to all who have visited me and left such nice comments this month. Don't forget, if you leave a comment during December I will enter you in a drawing on 1/1. I have already sent a little something to the first person to leave me a comment this month, and I will be doing at least one more mid-month giveaway, so check back often! ;o)


Bradford Pear


This autumn I have been captivated with the golden leaves against the gray tree bark ~ that last vestige of color before the leaves are swept away in the tide of the seasons. I've noticed it lately in the Bradford Pear trees that are so prevalent here. The leaves are golden, with a touch of orange, and simply glow against the gray/brown of the tree. In looking over the snapshots I have taken this fall, apparently the appeal of these colors has been with me through the season. No photos of bright red trees (though there were some this year that were simply stunning) - just "that" gold and "that" gray over and over again... in my fading balloon flowers (now gone and cut back, awaiting spring), and in the laden branches (now bare) of my hickory tree.

I want to capture these colors in fabric and make an art quilt from their inspiration. I do think the batik I bought a few days ago (the one on the right in the photo) would be a good one to use. I'll have to see what else I have, and what I can make. It's hard to find time to create this time of year, but these colors are calling me and I might have to find a way to listen.


Balloon Flowers

Hickory Tree



2 comments:

Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

I am looking forward to seeing your gold and gray art quilt!

Anonymous said...

I love the lavender in the background with the yellow leaves. Sneak some pale purple in their for me when you do the quilt...well only if it fits the theme. :)

Karen