"If you hear a voice within you say, 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced." --Vincent van Gogh

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Double Dipping

I have dyed all my muslin this week and need to buy more! Here are some of the pieces I made. All, except the two on the far right, were done by a method I have been experimenting with. I'll call it double dipping, because it uses two colors, though I'm sure it's probably been called by other names. I like "double dipping", so I'm going with that!

I used 1/2 yard of muslin and a 1 quart plastic jar with lid. I mixed up my dye in the jar, roughly 1/2 tsp dye to 1/2 cup warm water (plus chems and all that other fun dye stuff). The fabric was soaked in warm water and wadded up into a ball, and put into the jar. In a separate jar, I mixed my second color, then poured this on top of the fabric in the original container. I put the lid on it and let it sit for 3 hours or so. I was pleased that the colors did not mix completely, but rather, they mixed in some places and stayed true in others. Today I decided to experiment with complementary colors to see if they would mix and become muddy, and they did not! The orange and blue is actually one of my favorite pieces.

It's probably a good thing I ran out of fabric - I need to get some other stuff done!!!

3 comments:

Joanna said...

Very lovely results! Looks like you are having great fun with this. Have any projects in mind?

Judy Rys said...

I love the results of your double dipping! Beautiful combinations.

Digitalgran said...

Great dyeing results. I love the colours you have put together. It's very addictive isn't it?