"If you hear a voice within you say, 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced." --Vincent van Gogh

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Shakespeare was a working man...

I can't find my puffy paint!!!!!!!
(ok, rant over...)
This month I got to create a house front for the lovely Alis over on Textile Challenges. Her theme was "Shakespeare lived here?" So of course, being the creative working sort, where else would he live but the theatre? The Globe Theatre to be precise.

So here is my house front for Alis. A bit of a liberal take on the Globe. The "siding" is pages from one of his plays. There's even a "prithee" in there! The thatch roof is hand dyed raffia, which soaked up the dye in an interesting way. The windows are bits of leftover fabric paper and the shrubs are melted tyvek. I learned that it is not easy to stitch 1/8" strips of peltex with any precision. Still, I think it came out pretty well. I hope Alis will like it!

I am grateful this is a bi-monthly trade. I have until September to come up with the next idea. Now were IS that puffy paint? It's maddening really. Must be time to get organized!


5 comments:

Quilter422 said...

i think this is my fave of all the houses you've made so far - such amazing detail.

TracyB said...

Bless you for taking the time to create this, I'm not sure I'd have the patience :)

NEEDLEWINGS said...

I love it! You have done such a great job!

I have given you a Karma award on my blog:)

Digitalgran said...

I love this one and the idea behind it Michelle. I don't seem to get good ideas like this.

Karen said...

What a clever idea to use siding from one of his plays.