"If you hear a voice within you say, 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced." --Vincent van Gogh

Sunday, June 1, 2008

Switching Brains

Those of you who have read my blog from the beginning might remember back in February of 2007 when I started a piece replicating a painting by Miro. Those who don't remember, can go here to read that post ifyou'd like. It's a small piece, about 5.5x6" and I have finally finished it!!

I had done all the painting way back when, but could not settle on how to finish it. After working on the thread painted pieces, I realized that this was the way to go. So, all the black that you see - including Miro's signature down on the lower left, is done in thread. It's not an exact copy of the original (and that's probably a good thing) but I do like how it came out and it's always good to get something done, even if it is something small. I have also finished the last of the round robin pieces, and that will be mailed out tomorrow.

I'm sure you have heard of the left brain vs right brain - where your left brain controls logic and reasoning, and your right brain controls creativity. I have always been strongly left brained, but my adventures in art over the past few years have strengthened my right brain and sometimes I find that is where I am living. I have some curtains to make for a friend. She would have loved to have had them yesterday, but I could not turn off my right brain and make it do the methodical careful measuring, cutting and straight line sewing, and all the math involved in making even simple valances. My right brain was clamoring to keep control, so I finished Miro and the round robin, in an attempt to appease my right brain, and it must be satisfied with that. I am soon switching over to my left brain, which will happen as soon as I hunker down with the numbers and start making those curtains. I hope my right brain is not too miffed, and doesn't go into hiding. It has a tendancy to do that.

4 comments:

Joanna said...

This turned out beautiful! I hope you keep it for yourself. Did you work with fabric or acrylic paints? Love the threadpainting

Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

I love your vibrant colors- it looks great!

Fannie said...

Congratulations, Michelle!

Anonymous said...

LOL, my poor brain is confused trying to keep track of the which is which. I took a test and I'm somewhat down the middle.

The picture looks great.