"If you hear a voice within you say, 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced." --Vincent van Gogh

Monday, June 30, 2008

Petrified!

After leaving Santa Fe, we headed west into Arizona. We drove right by Petrified Forest National Park. I had learned of this place as child and I have always wanted to visit. Now, even as a child, I knew that the trees had turned to stone, and that they were lying around on the ground. However ... I still imagined that there was a forest - new trees that had grown up around the boulders that were their ancestors. Silly me! This forest is in the middle of the desert. It is really amazing to imaginethat this placewas once a thriving forest, and later cmpketely submerged!


I saw my first petroglyphs. I am fascinated by this primitive art, produced so many years ago and still preserved. I know it will inspire my art.


The colors and textures of the wood-turned-stone were gorgeous. There was a lot of looting of the park prior to its current protection. Many of the rocks used to have crystals growing on them. Can you imagine??


The cross sections were fascinating as well, and contained hundreds of colors while preserving the rings of the trees. We were there in the early afternoon and the strong sun washed out the colors.


I think I will always fnd fascination in a blooming cactus. The blossoms look like they are made from tissue, and the colors are so brilliant in the desert. I am glad to have finally visited this unique place.

1 comment:

Sue said...

Hmmmmmm. I need to go back to Arizona. It's been too long - now you know why I'm in love with it! Sorry to hear that your hand has been so long to heal...Darn it, I guess we really *are* getting older!