"If you hear a voice within you say, 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced." --Vincent van Gogh

Wednesday, August 1, 2007

"Graffiti"

"Graffiti"

I need to learn how to photograph art! This one is framed behind glass, so I had to shoot from an angle to avoid the glare and reflection. Of course it looks better in person! But I really love this piece. I made the background out of dryer sheets - similar to "jewel" but obviously a different color scheme. I was having a hard time deciding what to put on top, so I started stenciling and stamping with my paints - ok, now I hated it! So I set it aside for a while. I hadn't played with Tyvek in a while, so I finally decided to paint some up. I stamped some words on it, and stitched it to the dryer sheet base. Then I blasted it with a heat gun. I added assorted beads to some of the squares and framed it up. Success! I'm really pleased with this piece.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

and you should be pleased with it, it's gorgeous!

Judy Rys said...

I love the layers of color left after you zapped it with the heat gun. And painted dryer sheets are way too cool. I'm looking at dryer lint and wondering . . .