"If you hear a voice within you say, 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced." --Vincent van Gogh

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Ferns on Canvas


I took a break from fabric this week and played around with gooey stuff. I'm not even sure I can tell you how I made this piece, but I love it, and I'm attempting to do it again. This piece is 11x14 on canvas. I started out by applying a gorgeous teal blue tissue paper to the canvas, and then added some layers of paint. I used matte gel medium to build up some texture and impressed a fern foam stamp into that. This took a couple of days to dry. Finally I washed some green and rust paints on the piece, let it dry again, and then rubbed some iridescent paint over the top. There might be some other steps I've forgotten - who knows! I just kept adding to it until I got the results I was looking for. I'm just hoping it wasn't a fluke and I'll be able to accomplish similar pieces again ... stay tuned ...

3 comments:

Digitalgran said...

This is a wonderful work of art and I certainly hope you will remember every step you took. I just love the texture and the colours are just wonderful.

Dianne said...

This is fantastic!! The colours and textures are great. It looks like you actually have the leaves imbedded.

Judy Rys said...

This is a beautiful piece. You will probably remember when you start to work on another. I wouldn't wait too long though.