"If you hear a voice within you say, 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced." --Vincent van Gogh

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Calla Lily

I finished this piece today as well. It is the result of an effort to combine two challenges - one from my Self Expressions Studio class on Quilt University (to do a work inspired by a favorite artist, in this case: Diego Rivera) and the other from the online group The Artist's Muse (following chapter 2 of the book and creating a flower piece using green). I've been wanting to gain more experience in painting on fabric, so I chose an off-white print as my base and used Elmer's Glue as a resist (pva glue for those not familiar with Elmer's brand). I painted the background with watered down textile paints until I was pleased with it, then washed out the glue and added some details. I actually went back and forth with this process for a while before I was satisfied with the results. Finally, today, I managed to quilt it, which I think adds the finishing touch. The piece is 5"x7" and matted to be framed. I enjoy working in this size and framing my work, so expect more 5x7 pieces to come!

1 comment:

Digitalgran said...

The Cala Lily is beautiful and I'm sure the teachers will love your filopads.