"If you hear a voice within you say, 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced." --Vincent van Gogh

Saturday, May 29, 2010

A change of paint

Ain't it funny how the time goes? I started this blog post a week ago, ran out of time, saved it as a draft and here I am just getting back to it. It almost feels like old news now! Anyway, I traded in my art supplies for a roller and some wall paint, and remodeled the kids' bathroom. I thought I'd share it with you. It was time to say goodbye to the palm tree mural that has graced the long right side wall for many years. The walls needed to be repainted, and the kids are getting older - not that they don't enjoy palm trees any more, but it was time for something a bit more sophisticated (or maybe it was just as excuse!)

I painted the walls a soft chalky green (which really doesn't show up well in the photos ... the photo of the shower curtain has probably the best representation. The color is Harbour Town by Benjamin Moore). On the long wall I painted blocks of color and hung black and white prints of photos I've taken on our many family vacations. I let the kids list their most memorable places and use their lists in choosing photos. A nice way to make the space personal! I can always change out the photos whenever it needs refreshing.

I painted the ugly, old orangish oak and plywood cabinets a semi-gloss black and added chrome hardware. Ahhhh ... they look so much better, and set off the white marble vanity, which isn't going anywhere.

I swapped out the old tropical shower curtain and rings for a sleek black and chrome number. I also hung it about 8" higher up the wall which added more drama than I expected.

I, yes, I myself, personally and without assitance, took down the old brass "hollywood" globe vanity lights and wired up these new chrome and glass beauties. And I even did it right the first time! Was a leap of faith to flip that light switch on for the first time, that's for sure.

What's left is the floor (half carpet - what was the builder thinking??? - and half old vinyl), mainly, and a low flush toilet. I am toying with tearing down the tiles in the shower and installing new ones. I am a bit suspicious that there is an insufficient moisture barrier behind those tiles, and better to take them down and find out than to deal with a mold issue down the road. Or, maybe this is just another excuse ...
~Michelle

6 comments:

Butterfly Works said...

You are a very smart and handy woman...you did a fantastic job and I know the kids are going to love their new bathroom.....
Brave woman you are to even tackle electricity.....
Hugs and Blessings

Quilter422 said...

what a fabulous job, and it looks great! very sleek and modern.

Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

Wow- what a difference! It looks like something you would see in New York City. Great job!

Gabriela said...

AWESOME CHANGES!
I have to say I did love that palm tree though!

NEEDLEWINGS said...

Wow, we must both be working on bathrooms. I just started taking the strips down that join the wall panels and sealed with a vinal putty. We have those same hollywood brass lights. LOL I wanna ditch those too! Just got to figure out what I want to get. I am still thinking on the wall color. I have some avocado green but I am thinking aquas. I have a gray vinal tile to replace the ugly beige carpet.

morningDove said...

could you come paint the palms on my walls for hubby to keep the Caribbean experience going? he loves palms and wishes we could grow them in our yard.