"If you hear a voice within you say, 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced." --Vincent van Gogh

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Another New Adventure

I made this little piece today ...
It is 5"x5". I am participating in an art show/sale where the pieces have a maximum size of 6x6. When I signed up, it didn't really register that the pieces are due in the middle of October. Yikes! So here is my first one. I like how it came out. I am debating adding a word, as that was my original intention. I printed some of my photos onto fabric - this one was from our recent trip to the zoo. I decided to solder the edges, since these are required to be "ready for hanging". It is my first time soldering, although I've had all the supplies for quite a while. It wasn't too hard. I'm not that good at it, either, but I'm sure I'll improve with practice.

I had to offset the hanger due to the weight of the beads on the right. I kinda like it that way.

I would enjoy constructive feedback on this piece.

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

You are one brave chica!!1 you soldered a fabric piece as your first attempt at Soldering!!!! You are a wild one!!
PErsonally I like this piece without a word- I am getting kind of weary with all the word art out there- kind of like the phase where everything had to have hats. I think that hthis piece iss trong enough to stand on it's own and a word would kind of overdue it. Just my two cents!!
Hugs!
Elizabeth

Gabriela said...

I love it Michelle!

Margarita Korioth said...

I like it how it is, Michelle!

Karen said...

This is stunning Michelle, you're going to do well at the show.

Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle,
I'm not a CMMAG member yet but trying to decide which local group to join. I haven't made the Art of the Carolinas yet but plan to this time and really want to meet some of you guys!
Re: your 6x6 piece I think the piece is really good - I like the mixing of different textures and media and the soldered frame is great! I am doing the same show - this is my first time and I am having some trouble with the "prepared for hanging" part. How do you usually do that? Would the sawtooth hanger thing be too tacky? I have several to do & have no idea what to do. I really want to solder as well and have all the stuff, too, but too late to try that this time, although it looks great. Thought of wrapping silver wire as frame and hanging too.
See you around, Suzanne G
Gwycon2@yahoo.com