"If you hear a voice within you say, 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced." --Vincent van Gogh

Thursday, November 1, 2007

Guess what? I'm an Angel!

Well, ok, not really, but I had you going there for a minute, didn't I??? Sometimes in swaps that take place amongst folks all over the world, some people do not fulfill their obligations, for one reason or another. In one group that I am in, when someone has filled their obligation, but not received the expected items in return, a call is put out for "angels" - folks willing to step in and make something for the person, without expecting anything in return.

I decided to do this and try my hand at something called a "Tip-In". A "Tip-In" is a pre-made page for an altered book which can be slipped into the book and glued right down onto an exsisting page in the book - thus hiding the original page, covering it up with the new.

Since I don't do altered books (yet...), but I'm starting to become interested in collage and altered art techniques, I thought this was an excellent opportunity to try some things out. I was assigned the theme "garden/nature" and asked to make two 5x7 pages - either related or not - in this theme. Here's what I came up with:


I have to say it was a lot of fun, although I struggled with not wanting to mess with something I liked, and knowing what to do next ... I don't really see the final product until it emerges before me. The tag on the left hand page fits in a little sleeve on the back and has a quote from Aristotle written on it, "In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous". Not too bad for starting with a white piece of cardstock!!!

And while I'm on the subject of angels - here is a pic of some angel ornaments I designed, using bottle caps and aluminum cans:

No comments: